Due to the completion of the restration work, the Main Keep is open to public viewing from March 27, 2015. After the reopening, Himeji Castle is expected to be crowded with a large number of visitors. As such, we will issue numbered tickets to enter the Main Keep to visitors to limit the number of people who can enter the Main Keep in order to reduce congestion, waiting time, and protect the cultural properties. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Please note that there may be cases where some visitors are not allowed to enter the Main Keep depending on the crowdedness.
We strive to conserve Himeji Castle and improve the safe, comfortable viewing environment. Thank you again for your understanding.
- (1)After the reopening of Himeji Castle, we will issue numbered tickets to enter the Main Keep which are valid for the day of issue, to up to 15,000 visitors on a first-come, first-served basis, on days when heavy congestion is particularly expected.
- (2)Entering the Main Keep is restricted to holders of numbered tickets.
- (3)Visitors without numbered tickets can visit areas other than the Main Keep (West Bailey, Bizen Baily, etc.) inside the castle grounds.
2.Scheduled time when entry is restricted
|Period of time||Number of days||Reasons for congestion|
|January 1, 2017||1 day||New Year’s Day (Admission Free)|
|April 1, 2, 8, 9, 2017||4 days||Cherry trees in bloom, spring tourist season|
|May 4-6, 2017||3 days||Spring tourist season|
- * Please keep in mind that there are times when the numbered tickets are issued even when the castle is not at full capacity.
3.Distribution of the numbered tickets
- (1)Way of distribution
Numbered tickets are issued at the time of the opening of the castle (usually 9 a.m.). Please note that the castle may open up to 30 minutes earlier (early open days) for safety reasons and that numbered tickets may be issued earlier depending on the crowdedness.
- (2)Place for distribution
(Before the castle opens) Numbered tickets are issued to visitors waiting at the entrance to Himeji Castle on a first-come, first-served basis.
(After the castle opens) Numbered tickets are issued to visitors who enter the Main Keep.
- (3)Term of validity
Valid for the day of issue only.
*For early open days, see the FAQ page.
- (1)Visitors are issued one numbered ticket each.
- (2)In cases where a coupon (original) issued by a travel agency, a certificate signed by a travel agency (original; any format), etc., is presented to prove entry to the castle on the day of issue of numbered tickets, we give the tour conductor or representative of the tour group as many tickets as the number of people in the tour group.
However, numbered tickets can be given to a representative for one tour only and the maximum number of numbered tickets that can be issued to a representative is 50 (except educational trips).
【Revised Admission for Himeji Castle Grounds】
|Division||Individual (fewer than 30 people)||Group (30 people and more)||Note|
|800 yen||18 years and older|
|240 yen||from elementary school to high school students|
- * No admission fee for preschool children
- * Student admission fee applies to ehose at the age of 18 in high school
- * for elementary, junior high school, and senior high school students on educational trips, is admitted free of change.
- * One teacher accompanying every 15 students
2.Starting date of new fees
March 27 (Friday) in 2015